Life is Hard!

I am a strong believer that God uses everything that happens in life to teach us something about Himself if we will just listen to His Spirit and allow Him to instruct us. Then I search God’s Word to see what God has specifically said regarding what the Spirit has impressed upon my mind.

I am a pen turner and I love to work at my lathe. I have learned many things about life as I work at my lathe. Each step of the process in turning a piece of wood or antler into a pen is painful to the material with which I am working. The process includes cutting, drilling, shaping, sanding, polishing, friction, and pressure. But when the process is complete the material has been transformed; it has new beauty, value, and purpose. Something of little value now has greater value, all because it endured a painful process! Life is full of difficulties and it easy to become overwhelmed. But there is a purpose behind each hardship; they are all part of a process to shape and mold us into some of greater value and purpose. My desire in writing this blog is to encourage and maybe stir up some conversation with the lessons that God has been teaching me through the painful process of life. Life is hard, but God is good. May He continue working His process in my life.

If you are going to read any of my posts be sure to ready "Introduction to Lessons from the Lathe". In that post I lay out the basis for all the other blogs.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Renewal of passion

What was it about turning pens that I was so passionate about when I first began crafting them? It was seeing something beautiful created from something that was unattractive and dead. It stirred my heart because it was such a reminder to me of God's work in my life. The process was hard but the end product had new beauty, value, and purpose! I couldn't wait to get in the shop each day to be reminded that God was still working in my life. I couldn't wait to be reminded that everything that was happening in my life was just part of the process of God conforming me to the image of Christ.

It wasn't so much the making of the pens that I was passionate about, it was the sharing of the lessons that God had taught me in the shop. It was being able to say to people going through a difficult time that the Master Craftsman knows what He is doing; be patient because the finished product will be worth the pain of the process. I was able to share it because I was experiencing it daily in my life; as God used my cancer, loss of job, and financial difficulties shape me and mold me. I could honestly say, "God is good." It was my daily prayer of praise!

Somewhere in the past couple of years, I lost my passion. I lost sight of the fact that God knows what He is doing and I began to question His choices for my life. Romans 9:20 says, "Who are you, a mere human being, to argue with God? Should the thing that was created say to the one who created it, 'Why have you made me like this?'" I was asking that question a lot!

But as Philippians 1:6, reminds us, "God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." God has faithfully continued to work in my life and He has been restoring to me a vision for His purpose for my life. I may question how much longer I must continue to spin on the lathe, but I can trust the Master. He won't leave me on the lathe any longer than necessary to complete the work.

This weekend I was speaking to a friend and they encouraged me to begin writing again. I am not sure if anyone even will read my posts anymore. I have been so inconsistent over the past two years that I may have lost any credibility that I had. I don't know if I can even put thoughts down in a way that makes sense or is interesting to read. But, God willing, as He teaches me new lessons, I will share them on this blog.

God is good.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Brother in Christ:
    God sent me to your site a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoy what I have read so far. God has been growing me the last couple of years. Phsyically I am healthy, but have been through some severe storms. My joy has been knowing and seeing that God was with me the whole time.
    It also blesses my heart to see God working in others. I do believe he is growing us because he has something big that he is preparing his children for.
    To God be the Glory!

    ReplyDelete